2 cups Semolina
1.5 cups All purpose flour
1 cup Almond Oil
2 teaspoons Turmeric
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
2 teaspoons Ground aniseed (can be substituted for 2 tsp of cardamom
1.5 cups Sugar
1.5 cups Soymilk (or water), chilled
2 tablespoons Tahini
1 handful Sesame seeds, slivered almonds or pine nuts, to garnish. I used chopped raw almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC)
2. In a bowl, mix semolina, flour, turmeric, baking powder, and aniseed. Add oil and stir to make a runny paste.
3. In a separate bowl, melt sugar in the chilled soymilk. Gradually beat the sugar mixture into the flour and spices paste.
4. Grease the baking dish with tahini (or oil). Pour batter into the pan and ensure that the top is flat.. Garnish with your choice of seeds or nuts.
5. Bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until golden-brown. Insert a bamboo skewer into the cake; if it comes out clean, it’s ready. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes. Best served with tea or coffee.