Prep Time 30 mins
Cook Time 25 mins
Total Time 55 mins
Bouza ala haleeb is a delicious traditional Lebanese ice cream made with salep and mastic and flavored with orange blossom water.
Cuisine: Lebanese, Middle Eastern, Vegetarian
Servings: 1 quart
Author: Vera Abitbol
4 cups whole milk
1 cup sugar
3 oz. salep powder
½ teaspoon ground mastic
½ teaspoon sugar
3 tablespoons orange blossom water
Some crushed roasted pistachios for the decor
1. Dissolve the salep powder in 1 cup of cold milk using a blender to obtain a thick and elastic mixture.
2. Bring the rest of the milk mixed with the sugar to a boil.
3. Gradually dissolve the hot milk with the salep powder mixture, and mix again.
4. Pour into a nonstick saucepan (very important).
5. Mix the ½ teaspoon of sugar and mastic and reduce them to a very fine powder using a pestle.
6. In the saucepan, add the orange blossom water and mastic. Thicken over low heat while stirring regularly for 15 minutes.
7.Let cool, then put in the ice cream maker. Let it run for 30 minutes.
8. Place in an airtight container in the freezer for several hours (ideally prepare the day before).
9. Take the ice cream out of the freezer 15 minutes before serving and sprinkle with crushed pistachios.